Posts by Country

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Mascletás


On Friday, March 4th, I dropped my bike off in Pedroneras and met with Maribel for another trip to Valencia. This time - Mascletas! Maribel introduced me to genuine Gallego bread (my new favorite) and we walked around looking at the city gates, festivities and more of the crazy Spanish murals that I've come to expect.


The next day I wandered around Valencia while Maribel was in classes and then, back at the apartment, she made me an awesome chicken lunch with the Gallego bread from the day before.


Finally, on day three, we went to check out the Mascletas! The following is a description of the event:
A mascletá usually consists of four parts:
  • Start: The show begins with both sound and visual effects.
  • Body: During the central part of the mascletà the intensity and volume goes up.
  • Terratrèmol (earthquake): The stronger fireworks, called masclets, burst in unison.
  • Air show: Intense aerial fireworks. They are always visible for spectators and are accompanied by colours.

Well, believe it or not, the description above doesn't really do justice to the intensity of the "earthquake". Rather, I would use the term "shock wave" to describe the sensation seeing as the impact of the pressure waves could literally be felt in the very core of ones being - no exaggeration. It was the most intense fireworks display I have ever seen in my life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment